Sun Nov 11, 2012, 9:16 AM
- Mood: Sympathy
- Watching: Season 3 Episode 1 and 2
- Drinking: Earl Grey Tea
Why don't we flesh out Sombra a little more. After watching Season 3 twice I honestly feel the more I watch Sombra the more I'm starting to like him. Yes he definitely needs improvement. But I feel everypony is judging him way too harshly. Lets look at the things everyone is complaining about him.
1. Screentime: Sombra is barely seen throughout the whole episode except for a few scenes while he's looming over the Empire and when he finally enters. However, I feel even though his face wasn't shown he was in there deep in the minds of the Crystal Ponies. The Crystal Ponies quivered in fear at the mention of his name. All through the episode the Mane Six are trying to cheer them up, however Sombra uses his magic to slowly infect the empire bringing fear to the Crystal Ponies. Sombra's action is what counted through the lack of screen time. He didn't need to show himself all the time. His actions and ways of bringing terror and fear was enough for him.
2. Barely any voice lines: Yes, Sombra barely spoke and most of it just involved hm growling and saying Crystals. However, many ponies try and compare him to Discord. I feel Sombra does not fall under the charisma villain, I feel his falls under the intimidating villain. He watches and looms over the Empire waiting for Cadance to finally collapse from exhaustion. He slowly infects the empire to bring terror and fear so the Crystal Heart won't work. Sombra is just like an evil shadow looming behind you. Feeding off your fear and terror. I also feel the less lines he had gave him more intimidation, he didn't have to spout catchy lines like Discord nor gloat like Chrysalis. He just wanted to take the Empire, control the power and maybe even wage war on Celestia for being imprisoned for 1000 years. I also heard the voice was overly cliche, but I felt Jim Miller did an amazing job voicing him, especially since he didn't have much lines. Sombra is classified as a silent intimidating villain. He does not compare to Discord, but I feel the writers wanted to try something new instead of doing the same thing.
3. No Characterization: What just cause he didn't talk? You need to realize villains can be fleshed out from other sources. This case is what he does, and what he did. Sombra enslaved the Crystal Empire 1000 years ago. To keep the Crystal Ponies depressed he stole the Crystal Heart and locked it away in his castle. After he comes back, his first target is the Empire, he wants to bring more fear to the Crystal Ponies. He cares nothing about them even regarding them as Slaves. Just the name of Sombra brings fear into the crystal ponies. And when the moment the shield finally gives out, one crystal pony can't take it and runs in fear. The crystal ponies absolutely are terrified of Sombra wanting to face the cold Arctic than their evil tyrant. Sombra's back story is never explained, Ok look back at Discord, did we ever find out where he came from? What about Chrysalis? So just cause Sombra had barely any screen time makes it that he can't get through having back story when Discord and Chrysalis didn't have any either? Lastly his motives are never explained. Sombra's intentions are taking the Empire. Why? If you look back to Celestia's talk of the empire she says the Empire holds a mighty magic. I feel Sombra wanted that power. Sombra wants power and control. That is his motive just like the other villains. Nightmare Moon wanted eternal night, Discord wanted chaos, Chrysalis wanted FOOD for her subjects, and Sombra wanted power and control. Sombra's motives and characterization are fleshed out, just not from him, but what others say about him.
Now that the complaints are covered, lets look at some positive notes about Sombra.
1. PURE EVIL: This has got to be the very first pure evil villain in Friendship is Magic. Nightmare Moon was just Luna corrupted by jealousy (Or another evil), Discord is just a playful imp cause he's the Spirit of Chaos he has no choice. And Chrysalis is just doing what is in her nature. King Sombra is a shadow unicorn with a heart as black as night. He enslaves the crystal ponies and brings fear and terror into the Empire. He has no reasons to it other than the fact he enjoys it. He slowly infects the empire of his dark crystals and watches Cadance suffer slowly as she exhausts herself trying to keep the empire safe. He even mocks her by laughing and infecting the empire while the shield was still up. One of his traps sens whoever goes through it to their worst fears. One female crystal pony says she can't take it anymore and rather face the arctic cold than Sombra. She fears him more than her safety while in the empire. He smiles when one crystal pony bumps into him and when he says Slaves. Sombra loves to torture and bring terror making him the very first pure evil villain.
2. Not Cocky or Gloating: One thing I hated about Discord and Chrysalis is those two were extremely cocky. I know Discord is the Spirit of Chaos and has the right to act like that, but I still feel he should not underestimate his enemies. What's worse is the fact he didn't learn his lesson. He underestimated Celestia and Luna cause if you look at him when he's a statue the first time he's Happy and praising. I feel while he was taunting Celestia and Luna they used that opportunity to imprison him. And when he comes back, he doesn't consider the Mane Six regaining their friendship and just sits there mocking them. Now for Chrysalis, she captures Celestia and Cadacne, however when she captures the Mane Six she gloats them and sings.....without ensnaring them. Why? Cause she was cocky.
Now lets look at Sombra, He takes the only thing that can let the Crystal Ponies overthrow him (minus the Elements) hides it deep in his castle, obstructs Shining Armor's magic so he can't help anymore, uses various spells and tricks to keep Twilight Sparkle away and even activates a trap when he knows Twilight is close to it. Sombra took no chances, he made sure if the ponies tried to get to the Heart it was going to be hard. Sombra did not underestimate his enemies and did everything he could to make sure everything was going to go his way.
3: A Farewell Present: When I saw Sombra's defeats I felt what he did was more brave than what Discord and Chrysalis did. All Discord and Chrysalis did was scream in fear and watch themselves get defeated. Sombra however did much more. After his first defeat he wanted to make it if he could not have the power no one could. He cursed the Crystal Ponies turning them depressed and have amnesia, and makes the empire disappear. When he is defeated again as he knows he's getting beaten he doesn't quiver in fear, however he orders the Crystal Ponies to stop. He knows he is going to go down, but he still has the bravery to try and put fear in them even though it didn't work.
4: Rumor to Return: I have already heard that Discord is 100% confirmed for Season 3. But I still have my doubts he'll come back and challenge the Mane Six. I feel it's going to be backstory. Sombra however, I have high hopes for his return. If you look back at the episode when Sombra's horn is cut off from the shield it slowly turns into a dark crystal. Sombra even regenerates it later. When Sombra is turned to crystal and blasted away he falls to dark pieces. Could it be that Sombra is made out of crystals? And we see his horn fly off in the distance, if Sombra can regenerate himself from his horn will we see more of him cause of this? Also, the other teasers especially Trixie hints the fact Sombra might be a recurring evil throughout the final season. Maybe, we have not seen the last of the Sombra.
Final Thoughts: My brony blood runs strong and I know this villain was hyped greatly. I feel though that many people treat him bad is the fact he is the premiere villain. Being that, he needs to live up to the others. Nightmare Moon and Discord. Nightmare Moon wasn't really a threat in my opinion so I feel she is the weakest of villains, Discord is just Q of MLP. There is no way you can top that. Sombra is the first villain to be pure evil and silent mostly. Sombra falls under his own category of villains. Not a charisma villain but an intimidating one.
Future Ideas: I feel if Sombra comes back, he will be more fleshed out. Having no Empire anymore, he needs to find another one. Equestria is the next target for him. If that happens, I see Sombra becoming more like a Disney Villain. And in my honest opinion I would love to see that. Sombra has more potential than others believe he does. Lastly, Sombra is an interesting villain that Studios B created. Sure he didn't do much in terms of talking, but he has no right to be ignored by the fans. Sombra is a new kind of villain rather than doing the same thing like Discord. And remember, you can't have light without darkness. Sombra is still alive in my opinion and slowly venturing to a new target. Watch your back Mane Six. One lesson you need to learn is the fact "Villains always come back."
Everyone can leave their opinions in the comments of what they think about Sombra. Just look back at the episode and realize what kind of villain he is.
Credit to fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/201… for the picture.
Do not by any circumstances take off these credits.
Rumor has it that King Sombra's presence endures in the Alicorn Amulet.
Sombra suffers the same fate as Firelord Ozai, Avatar fans expected Ozai to be a more devoloped Azula and when he turned out to be a pure evil guy who just sits on his throne until the finale battle they were disappointed, but at least Ozai only had one villain before him . Sombra had three villains and he is the first "Mortal" villain not to mention that they spoiled his face way too early so expectations were way too high.
Final season? as in the end of the series?
Yep, this is confirmed to be the final season of Friendship is Magic.
Sombra BETTER come back he has SOOOOOOO much potential!
I hope that he comes back, or they will make more villains like him
King Sombra is interesting and I'd like to see more of him even if it's back story as to how he became like this. Same with Discord I'd LOVE to see a background story of him!
Yeah, Sombra has so much more potential than people think he does. I feel this tyrant isn't done torturing the Mane Six.
Yep, dont complain, also villians should never get cocky, if I "was" a bad guy, I woulod make sure no one stops me, then if every hero is defeated, I would gloat, but if i gloated and they were captured, they would get free and defeat me.